Job Description for
Education and Outreach Coordinator—Traverse City
The Education and Outreach Coordinator (EOC) is a key generator of visual arts educational programming, including classes, lectures, interactive activities, and content related to art exhibitions. By cultivating and managing community partnerships, the EOC works to enhance CTAC’s visibility, reach, and relationships. This position provides assistance for Traverse City-based artist markets and fairs, and other special projects.
This full-time, salaried position is ideal for a friendly, task-oriented, and highly organized person who loves the arts and values working in a pleasant, creative, mission-driven environment. While this position will average 40 hours a week, the Education and Outreach Coordinator must be available to work a flexible schedule including some weekends and evenings. This position is based in Traverse City, but occasional one-day travel to Petoskey may be required for special events.
The EOC reports to the Vice President and works closely with the Galleries and Volunteer Coordinator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans and implements education programs including but not limited to: workshops, classes, summer camps, field trips, lectures, and other presentations. Is responsible for communicating and contracting with instructors, setting fee structures, and maintaining classroom area and supplies.
- Helps plan and coordinate Thursday After Hours events, Coffee @ Ten lecture series events, and other CTAC programming.
- Assists the Galleries and Volunteer Coordinator with the Annual Youth Art Show, Outdoor Art Fair, and Merry Marketplace.
- Staffs front desk as needed, managing transactions such as class registration, memberships, art sales, and ticket purchases.
- Contributes to long range planning of programming for both locations with direct responsibility for TC programs.
- Contributes to the CTAC marketing materials, including newsletters, website, press releases, social media, flyers, and brochures.
- Contributes to management and growth of the Artist Guild Membership program and activities, creating professional development and exhibiting opportunities for artist-members.
- Executes assigned or assumed responsibilities on special events, openings, meetings, lectures, and other CTAC programs.
- Takes responsibility for the purchase and inventory of all materials and equipment related to the arts programs of CTAC-TC.
- Works closely with the Traverse City Committees related to education and outreach.
- Contributes to maintaining the gallery and programming calendar.
- Performs other similar and related duties as directed by the Vice President and President not requiring materially different qualifications from those described in this document.
- The Education and Outreach Coordinator is expected to work within the parameters of all approved annual budgets, unless otherwise directed by the Vice President, President, and the Board.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of the practices that contribute to meaningful arts programming.
- Skills necessary to keep accurate records.
- Skills necessary to communicate effectively.
- Ability to manage the appropriate software systems of CTAC.
Bachelor’s degree or Associate degree or three years experience in a related position.
Benefits and Compensation:
- Starting at $40,000 per year
- Health Insurance
- 403 B Retirement Plan
- Short-Term Disability Plan
- Two weeks paid vacation, plus paid time off between Christmas and New Year’s Eve and spring break
- Email materials to Kristi@crookedtree.org, subject: Education & Outreach Coordinator by September 15, 2023. Please include a cover letter, resume, and three references. References will not be contacted without your knowledge.
322 Sixth Street, Traverse City, MI 49684 (231)-941-9488
461 E. Mitchell Street, Petoskey, MI 49770 (231)-347-4337
About Crooked Tree Arts Center
Crooked Tree Arts Center is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with locations in Petoskey and Traverse City, Michigan. Founded in 1971, CTAC’s mission is to inspire and enrich lives through the arts. CTAC offers arts and cultural programming in a variety of areas, including visual arts, ballet, culinary arts, and more.