Crooked Tree Arts Center is excited to respond to community requests to grow our music education program. Why?
#1) We have the physical space. Thanks to a generous grant in 2016, we have a new 900 square foot music studio space in the CTAC building.
#2) We have a talented staff member, Kevin Richardson, trained to teach stringed instruments.
#3) We have a long-standing tradition of music education through our 4 music performance groups:
- Concert Orchestra (Students with 2 or more years of strings experience)
- Chamber Orchestra (High school/college level strings)
- Symphony Orchestra (High school/college level strings combined with local woodwind, brass and percussion players)
- Crooked Tree Jazz Orchestra (Intermediate level woodwinds, brass, piano, guitar, bass and drums)
Launching in Fall 2017, our new comprehensive Music Education program will:
- Expand our education offerings! In the past, strings instruction started in 3rd grade. We will now offer a “Little Stars” strings class for ages 5-8. Students will progress through aged and skill-leveled, comprehensive classes. We’re even offering daytime and evening adult strings classes!
- Expand strings instruction time from 30 minutes a week, to 45 minutes twice a week after school.
- Add a Ukulele Program for Kids and Adults…did you know that the ukulele is a great starter instrument for those who want to learn to play the guitar? Already know how to play the ukulele? You’ll be glad to know that we’re adding the Crooked Tree Ukulele Orchestra for ages 10 to adult! This community group will rehearse and perform a range of music from pop tunes to classical masterworks.
- Introduce the Jazz Lab Band…this program is perfect for middle school students interested in learning performance and improvisation skills, but are not quite ready for the Jazz Orchestra.
- Introduce Crooked Tree Rock Bands! We will offer Crooked Tree Garage Band for intermediate-level, middle school students, and the more advanced, Crooked Tree All-Star Band for high school students. Guitar and bass players, percussionists, keyboards and vocalists are welcome!
Click here to view the full line-up of CTAC School of Music classes.