Crooked Tree Arts Scholarship
CTAC is offering two, $2,000 scholarships for graduating high school seniors who are:
- Michigan residents;
- Attending school in the CTAC-Petoskey service area (Charlevoix or Emmet Counties) or the CTAC-Traverse City service area (Antrim, Benzie, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, or Leelanau counties). One scholarship from each service area will be awarded.
- Pursuing fields of study in the arts. This includes visual arts, performing arts, theatre, dance and music.
Crooked Tree Arts Center focuses on arts education through the CTAC High School Portfolio Prep Program, CTAC School of Ballet, CTAC Garage and Jazz Bands, Annual Youth Arts Show, Annual Young Writers Expo, classroom tours, and a wide variety of classes and workshops throughout the year. Thousands of area students are engaged in the arts through their experiences with the Arts Center and this scholarship opportunity will foster a student’s next level of arts education.
The deadline for consideration is March 1, 2023.
Applicants will be required to submit the following materials for consideration:
- Official transcript, including cumulative GPA. Inclusion of SAT or ACT scores is optional.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. One letter must be from a former teacher, counselor, coach or instructor in your arts-related field.
- Personal Statement: This essay (650 words or less) should give the Selection Committee insight into you as an individual. Include qualities related to your achievements, character and potential that would make your selection as a scholarship recipient a worthwhile investment. Include why you are pursuing a major or career in the arts.
- Portfolio: Visual Arts students must submit 3-5 hi-res images that represent their work. Performing Arts students must submit three, 1-2 minute videos that represent (1) student created work or improvisation, (2) a solo that demonstrates style (may be original, classical or contemporary work), and (3) a solo that demonstrates technique (may be original, classical or contemporary work).
- College plans
- Arts involvement: Include arts-related extracurricular activities (Examples: theatre / dance productions, choral groups, orchestra, band, visual arts exhibitions, private lessons, etc.)
- School Involvement: Include school-related extracurricular activities (Examples: student government, sports, clubs, etc.)
- Community Service: Include any voluntary work outside of school intended to serve others. (Examples: National Honor Society, 4-H, scouts, Manna Food Pantry, church groups)
- Honors and Awards: List any artistic, academic, club, and/or sports awards and honors.
- Work Experience: Include past work experience. If you have never been employed, please state how you use your summer time.
- Special Circumstances: If applicable. Describe any personal circumstances you feel warrant special attention by the Selection Committee.
Scholarship winners will be announced on April 12, 2023. All winners will be invited to attend CTAC’s Youth Arts Award Night reception at CTAC-Petoskey on Wednesday, April 19, 2023 at 7:00 pm. Scholarship winners will also be announced at school award ceremonies.
Please note that family members of CTAC or CTAC’s Board of Directors are not eligible for this scholarship.
Writing a letter of recommendation? References, please click here!