In this three-day studio workshop, students will explore the subject of water. Each morning will feature a presentation, full demo, and exercises for students focusing on value & composition. Afternoons will be devoted to one-on-one instruction. Points of study will include:
- Seeing as an artist: seeing shapes, value shifts, and color temperatures
- Planning your painting: envisioning your painting, using varied reference material, honing value and design, doing color studies
- Interpreting water: creating a sense of translucency, painting reflections on the surface of still water, painting water in motion (waterfalls and surf), plus some tricks for painting water out-of-doors, and getting good reference for studio use
- Stages of studio painting: drawing, block-in, color mixing, approaches to working a larger painting, refining texture & edges, tools for self-critique
- Experimentation: exercises you can do at home to continue your growth as an artist
One-on-one instruction will be individually tailored. Students are encouraged to email several waterscape painting examples beforehand and list some specific things they would like to work on. Attendance fee includes a 40-page workshop handbook for further study.
Supply list can be found at the tab at the top of the page.
Our 2019 housing partner Country Inn and Suites of Traverse City is offering a limited number of rooms at a discount for 2019 Summer Workshop students. Use code 154433 to receive your discount. If you have any questions please contact Kristi at 231-715-3899.